Instructions to Authors – Abstract
Please follow the instructions given online, otherwise your abstract cannot be selected for review. A summary of the guidelines is as follows:
- The abstract language is English
- The templates provided are the only format accepted please see “How to write and submit an EACTS Abstract” below.
- There should be no more than 8 authors
- Since the abstracts will be judged anonymously, the text may not reveal the institutional affiliation
- Mark the category which best describes the subject of your abstract. If the paper is to be considered for any award or prize, mark the corresponding field when submitting the abstracts. (See Awards and Prize details – please note that to complete your abstract submission, you will be required to upload the applicable covering letter from your Director of Service or Laboratory in the Institution at which the research programme has been undertaken)
- Each abstract submitted to the Association for possible presentation at the EACTS Annual Meeting must summarize an original contribution and must not have been submitted, presented, published or accepted for presentation or publication elsewhere.
- Please note that it is not possible to make any corrections to the abstract content or information (such as Presenter details, authors list etc). In order to correct your abstract you must withdraw it and submit a new corrected version prior to the deadline. Note that, such replacement of the abstract is not possible after the deadline. In the case of errors in your abstract discovered after the deadline, you may indicate the correction during the presentation at the congress. However, changes will not be included in the publications. If accepted, your abstract will be published as submitted.
Abstracts will not be accepted unless they are submitted according to the format and instructions described previously, and submitted using the online system no later than the dates given above.
How to write and submit an EACTS Abstract
The EACTS way of abstract submission is by a short Powerpoint presentation. The reason is that we think it is simpler to submit an abstract in this way and it will also a allow a faster and better review process.
Please follow the instructions carefully. A presentation which is understandable and follows the instructions is much more likely to be accepted for presentation at the meeting.
It is mandatory to download and use this EACTS Abstract Template. Only this template is accepted and only a maximum of 7 slides is allowed!
Slide 1: Title & ID – The first slide contains the Title of the presentation and also the Abstract ID from the online submission site
– Do not use the “Enter” button in your title. This action will add hard returns, which are not allowed
– Do not use abbreviations in the title. Abbreviations may be used in the following slides
– Do not end the title with a period (.)
– Do not use quotation marks in a title (” “)
– The title must not be CAPS. Do not bold, italicize, underline,superscript or subscript any items in the title.
Slide 2: Background and study objective (maximum 8 bullet points)
Slide 3: Patients (if applicable); maximum 8 bullet points
Slide 4: Methods (maximum 8 bullet points)
Slide 5: Results 1 (can include Text, Table, Graph, image, but no videos )
Slide 6: Results 2 (if necessary a second slide with results is allowed)
Slide 7: Conclusion (only text. maximum 5 bullet points)
- Not one slide is allowed to contain any reference to the hospital, university or author. Do not include authors in the title. If you enter authors in the title, your presentation will be rejected. Do not include institutions in the title. If you enter institutions in the title, the presentation will be rejected
- Font, size, and color for text have been formatted for you in the Slide Master
- The minimum font size 21 pt
- When you have finished your presentation, please save your presentation first as a PPT or PPTX file (depending on which version of Powerpoint you use) for your own reference.
- After this use the option in PowerPoint to save your file as a PDF file. Click “File”, choose the option “Save as”, choose the location where you want to save the file, type the File name – please use your Abstract Id as the file name and in the “Save as type” list, click PDF (*.pdf). Fig 1
- Choose the smaller file size , click “Minimum size (publishing online). Fig. 2
- The PDF file is uploaded through the EACTS website, not the PPT or PPTX file
Film Guidelines & Technical Information
For all Abstracts which are accepted for presentation at the EACTS Annual Meeting, the full paper must then be submitted to the European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery or Interdisciplinary CardioVascular and Thoracic Surgery, before the meeting. Authors are requested to submit the abstract of their film electronically (see “How to write and submit an EACTS Abstract” below) and to UPLOAD a copy of their film for review within the abstract submission programme. The film should be no longer than 10 minutes. Sound is acceptable, but not necessary. However, live narration by the principal surgeon is a requirement of participation.
Guidelines to film authors:
- Films should be essentially technical movies
- Avoid time-consuming sequences showing conventional approaches and cannulations (cardiac surgery). Specific approach should be briefly demonstrated only in very particular cases (e.g. minimally invasive, etc)
- Indicate clearly the view that is being shown, e.g. surgeon’s view (as seen by the surgeon), overhead view, or view from the patient’s head
- When it is difficult to identify the details or orientation of a surgical view, an explanatory drawing may be helpful and should be shown within the film just before the operative view
- Should an author wish to report results of series, the film itself should be shortened to 5 minutes and ‘slides’ incorporated in the film (not shown on separate projector)
- Filesize must not exceed 150MB per Abstract
- Allowed Files are: a) .mpg b) .mov c) .wmv d) .mp4
Please contact our technicians for queries regarding the media files: email@example.com
Films should be uploaded along with the abstract during the abstract submission process.
The use of personal laptops is not permitted. To avoid technical problems, computer presentations should be previewed in the Speaker Preview Centre no later than 2 hours before the start of the session in which the presentation is to be given.
|Operating System||Windows 7,Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows 95|
|Resolution||1024 x 768|
|Submissions||CD Rom or USB memory drive|
|Virus||Disks/Drives must be virus free|
Presenters must download and use this Presentation Template
- Each abstract submitted to the Association for possible presentation at the EACTS Annual Meeting must summarize an original contribution and must not have been submitted, presented, published or accepted for presentation or publication elsewhere. *
- For all Abstracts which are accepted for presentation at the EACTS Annual Meeting, the full manuscript MUST then be submitted to the European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery or Interactive CardioVascular and Thoracic Surgery, by 19 September 2023. * (http://www.editorialmanager.com/ejcts/default.aspx)
- Each abstract accepted for presentation a the EACTS Annual Meeting must be presented by the nominated author in-person in Milan. The nominated presenter must be registered to attend the meeting by 1 July 2023 or the abstract could be removed from the programme. *
- Selected Congress sessions will be webcasted. EACTS will use the entire presentation for webcasting purposes.
- Ensure that you have permission from all co-authors to submit the abstract on their behalf and to grant EACTS the exclusive license to publish the abstract and the full article if accepted.
- You must consider the content of your presentation carefully to avoid bringing EACTS into disrepute. You must be aware that EACTS has a zero-tolerance approach to sexism and other forms of discrimination.
- Your study/research methodology must have been approved by local ethical committees or conform to standards currently applied in the country of origin.
*Please note that failure to meet these conditions can result in ALL authors being restricted from submitting an abstract or manuscript for 2 years.
The audio-visual recording of the scientific presentations will be the property of the EACTS. Authors will be notified in writing by July 2023 if the EACTS Programme Committee has accepted their abstract(s).
During abstract submission any disclosures should be made in the relevant section of the abstract submission system and not included on the abstract itself.
For abstracts that are accepted for presentation and the subsequent manuscript submission, the Editor requires authors to disclose any commercial associations that might pose a conflict of interest in connection with the submitted article.
All sources of funding for work should be acknowledged in a footnote on the title page, as should all institutional affiliations of the authors (including corporate appointments). Other kinds of associations, such as consultancies, stock ownership or other equity interests or patent licensing arrangements should be disclosed to the Editor in the covering letter at the time of submission. If no conflict of interest exists, please state this in the covering letter. The Editor reserves the right to reject manuscripts that do not comply with the above-mentioned requirements. The author will be held responsible for false statements or for failure to fulfill the above-mentioned requirements.
We will be seeking accreditation by the European Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (EACCME®)
Each abstract submitted to the Association for possible presentation at the EACTS Annual Meeting must summarize an original contribution and must not have been submitted, presented, published or accepted for presentation or publication elsewhere.
GENERAL ABSTRACT SUBMISSION
General abstract submission will open on 1 Feb 2023 until 30 April 2023
ALLIED HEALTH ABSTRACT SUBMISSION
Allied Health abstract submission is now closed.
LATE BREAKING CLINICAL TRIALS ABSTRACT SUBMISSION
Late breaking clinical trials abstract submission is now closed.
TECHNO-COLLEGE INNOVATION AWARD SUBMISSION
Techno-College Innovation Award submission is closed