The Residents Committee is devoted to represent the views and interests of European residents, identify issues in training and facilitate education.
The Committee aims to find common ground in current European Training Programmes in order to develop standards in surgical training. It collaborates with other agencies in manpower planning.
The Committee encourages membership of EACTS, promotes communication channels and supports academic activity. It works together with the domains and other committees of EACTS (and other organisations, other disciplines, cardiology).
Its members endeavour to carry out their tasks with commitment and transparency and ensure accessibility to the Committee for all European surgeons in training.
We support academic activity for cardiothoracic and vascular surgical residents who are aiming at successful scientific achievements, who want to be involved in clinical, translational as well as basic science in addition to their clinical training or as a main area of activity:
We promote communication channels between Surgeons in Training and renowned specialists of cardiothoracic and vascular surgery fields:
- The Residents Luncheon (Miia Lehtinen)
- S.O.S Session (Rui Cerqueira)
- Outside the Box Session (Fabian Kari)
We facilitate education and support residents in career planning:
- Fontan Fellowships (Priyadharshanan Ariyaratnam)
- Leonardo Da Vinci Award (Sam Heuts)
- Career Development Session (Simo Syrjälä)
We represent the views and interests of European residents and we constantly work on finding common ground in current European Training Programmes in order to develop standards in surgical training:
- Committee meetings and Discussions
- NRS (National Residents Societies) Task Force: Study on European Training Situations, (Miia Lehtinen, Rui Cerqueira)
- support of EBCTS link (Andras Durko)
We encourage membership of EACTS and we ensure accessibility to the Committee for all European surgeons in training:
- EACTS Trainee membership
- NRS (National Residents Societies) Task Force
- Residents Lounge
- the Famous Residents Social Programme during the EACTS Annual Meeting (Sam Heuts)
- Residents Newsletter (Can Tepeköylü)
We work together with the Domains (Vascular, Acquired Cardiac, Congenital Heart, Thoracic Disease) in the planning of the session content during the Annual Meetings of EACTS.
- How to do it – Live in a Box (Cardiac: Andras Durko, Thoracic: Marlies Keijzers)
- Nightmares in CT Surgery (Cardiac: Can Tepeköylu, Thoracic: Marlies Keijzers)
- Jeopardy Competition