The prestigious Francis Fontan Fund for Education offers an exciting opportunity to advance your surgical education, foster your professional development and learn from the highest standards of cardiothoracic care at some of the most prestigious institutions around the world.
Become a Francis Fontan Fund Fellow and join the global cardiothoracic community. Learn new skills and techniques from experts in their field, share knowledge and expertise around the world and improve clinical outcomes and enhance patient care.
The Francis Fontan Fund for Education global cardiothoracic community
The Francis Fontan Fellowship programme
The Fund is open to EACTS members from all countries and currently supports several different Fellowship schemes specialising in a breadth of cardiothoracic techniques.
The Fund offers three categories of Fellowship: Research, Leadership and Education.
Applications for the 2023-24 Fellowship Programme will be open from 1 July 2023 – 1 September 2023, unless specifically stated below. You must apply via the application form located on the specific Fellowship page.
Research Fellowships offer experienced cardiothoracic surgeons a placement in cardiothoracic research.
- EACTS-MSTCVS Quality and Outcomes Fellowship – 2023-24 Fellowship
- MSc Statistics for Clinical Trials at UCL – 2023-24 Fellowship. Applications OPEN NOW.
Leadership Fellowships enable candidates to attend specialist courses and a placement in a clinic specialised in a specific area of cardiothoracic surgery.
- Atrial Fibrillation Fellowship in partnership with Atricure – 2023-24 Fellowship
- Aortic TEVAR Fellowship in partnership with Terumo – 2023-24 Fellowship
- NEW for 2022-23: VATS Fellowship in General Thoracic Surgery – 2023-24 Fellowship
- Robotic Surgery – Cardiac in partnership with Medtronic – 2023-24 Fellowship
Education Fellowships offer candidates early in their surgical career foundational knowledge in a specific aspect of cardiothoracic surgery.
- Advanced Intensive Postoperative Care – 2023-24 Fellowship
- Aortic Root and Valve Repair Fellowship – 2023-24 Fellowship
- Off-Pump Coronary Artery Bypass (OPCAB) in partnership with Medtronic Fellowship – 2023-24 Fellowship
- MICS Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (MICS-CABG) Fellowship in partnership with Medtronic – 2023-24 Fellowship
- OPCAB Extended Fellowship in partnership with Medtronic – 2023-24 Fellowship
- International Traveling Fellowship in partnership with STS – 2023-24 Fellowship
- International Travelling Fellowship in partnership with STS & LACES – 2023-24 Fellowship
- Ukrainian Support Fellowship – 2023-24 Fellowship
For more information about the Fellowship programme please contact Natasha Smith-Jones at [email protected]
How to apply
Applications for the 2023-24 Fellowship Programme are open from 1 July 2023 – 1 September 2023. You must apply via the application form located on the specific Fellowship page.
Applications are subject to a rigorous peer review process, led by world leading EACTS surgeons and overseen by eminent members of the Francis Fontan Fund Committee.
The Fund is very grateful to industry sponsors that support the educational opportunities it offers. If your company is interested in the Fund’s donation process, please email [email protected]
Celebrating Francis Fontan
Francis Fontan was a pioneering cardiac surgeon, best known for creating the revolutionary Fontan procedure. Passionate about lifelong learning, Fontan founded the European Association for Cardiothoracic Surgery to advance education in the field of cardiothoracic and vascular interventions.
The Francis Fontan Fund was created in his honour, with the intention of celebrating his dedication to lifelong learning.