EACTS-MSTCVS Quality and Outcomes in Cardiac Surgery Training Fellowship
This EACTS sponsored fellowship within the Francis Fontan Fund offers an advanced trainee or early career surgeon in cardiovascular surgery an opportunity to spend 4 months with the Michigan Society of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeons (MSTCVS) Quality Collaborative Team.
The fellow will actively participate in the Quality Collaborative activities during the 4 months including:
- Participating in the organization of the quarterly meetings
- Participating in the data extraction and analyses for these meetings
- Observing the workings of the collaborative including the communication with the 33 sites, the site visits should they occur during the time frame, the evaluation of the visit and follow-up plan.
- Participating in the weekly meetings with the Project Director
- Participation in a site audit for the cardiac surgical data at one of the hospitals.
- Create or participate in a data-driven abstract(s) and or manuscript(S) preparation while a part of the Collaborative.
- Observe a quarterly meeting and help administer the meeting
- Present a portion of outcomes for the state at a subsequent meeting.
From the experience gained, the Fellow will present to the Board of the Fontan Fund and/ or at a future EACTS meeting, an evaluation of the experience.
The Fellowship will include opportunities to attend didactic and other educational sessions in the Department of Cardiac Surgery at the University of Michigan and the Fellow will be afforded temporary visitor status to access the Collaborative and the Department.
General Learning Objectives
The visiting Fellow will acquire understanding of a data warehouse and techniques of data review, statistical analyses, data portrayal (slide and information formatting). These steps will then be integrated into the meeting organization, the agenda and timing of each aspect of the meeting including topical groupings, (CAD), (Valve), (Aortic), with planning and discussion of the objectives to delineate high and lower performers and the goals of sharing specific site’s accomplishments as well as specific site future opportunities.
This will lead to the opportunity to direct a portion of the second meeting the Fellow attends.
The overarching goals include having the visiting Fellow acquire approaches successfully used in the MSTCVS QC and utilize/ modify them to be a part of their home institution meetings and regional meetings.
Application & Selection Criteria
To be considered for this fellowship applicants must be under the age of 40 and in the last year of training, or within the first five years post training; be an EACTS member; be fluent in the English language, and complete the application form and provide the following documents by 17 February 2018:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Letter of interest
- Letter of support from head of training/department
Evaluation and Feedback
At the end of the fellowship, the fellow will write a manuscript on a subject defined by the Fellowship Team which will be submitted to publication in EJCTS/ATS
Applications are due by 17 February 2018.