We are delighted to announce the successful recipients of the 2022-23 Francis Fontan Fund Fellowship programme.
A high number of exceptional applications were received this year, reinforcing the programme’s prestigious reputation amongst the cardiothoracic community. This year’s programme includes seven new fellowships, offering more opportunities for surgeons to expand their knowledge and gain invaluable experience working with leading surgeons in their fields.
Congratulations to the following members:
- Advanced Postoperative Care: Sara Ranchordás
- EACTS Aortic Root and Valve Repair: Elena Roselló-Díez, Omar Jarral, Karel Van Praet, Endrit Shala
- EACTS Atrial Fibrillation Fellowship: Nicolai Bayer, Matheus Helunay, Humberto Juarez, Hector Olaya, Benjamin Omoregbee, Mostafa Tolba
- OPCAB: Simon Duggan
- MICS / CABG: Bilal Kirmani
- TSF/FFF Travelling: Valentina Mescola, David Zapata
- Quality & Outcomes: Ronald Manuel Estrada Mendoza
- OBCAB Extended: Emre Yasar
- Robotic Surgery – Cardiac: Laura Besola
- TSF/FFF/LACES Travelling: Marcio Rufino Barbosa Jr, Laura Adriana Torrico Davila
- Ukrainian Support: Anton Pechenenko, Maksym Rzhanyi, Volodymyr Demianenko and Viktoriia Tymoshenko
- VATS: To be confirmed
- Clinical Trials & Statistics: Vincenzo Caruso
Commenting on this year’s applications, Professor Ruggero de Paulis, Chair of the Francis Fontan Fund, said: “We have received an unprecedented number of outstanding applications to the Francis Fontan Fund this year – an increase of 80% in applications received compared to 2021. With 14 Fellowship Programmes to choose from I am proud to Chair the prestigious Francis Fontan Fund. It presents unparalleled opportunities for young surgeons to advance their education and careers in cardiothoracic surgery, learning from experts in their fields in some of the best institutions worldwide.
“It is very encouraging to see so many young surgeons from across Europe and beyond recognise the benefits of taking part in the Fellowship programme and being part of our global cardiothoracic community.”
Viktoriia Tymoshenko, one of the recipients of the Ukrainian Support Fellowship, said: “Let me express my sincere gratitude for such a unique opportunity to be chosen for fellowship in University Hospital Clinic de Barcelona and to be a part of your professional community. It has special meaning for me now when my country is attacked every day with thousands of people wounded. As young Ukrainian surgeons, I want to thank you for your contribution to the development and support cardiac surgery in Ukraine. I see the fellowship as an unrivalled chance to sharpen my knowledge, upgrade my professional skill and gain valuable experience from the leading specialists of hospital.”
Application for the 2023-24 Francis Fontan Fellowship programme will open in Spring 2023. Click here for more information about the programme.