The European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS), the premier cardiovascular and thoracic surgery society, is currently accepting expressions of interest from qualified applicants for the Chairman position of the European Board of Cardiothoracic Surgery (EBCTS).
The EBCTS has greatly expanded its influence after a period of examination development and revision and is committed to raising standards through assessment. The examination now comprises two distinct and high-quality components. Several European countries have adopted the level 1 examination as their training exit exam, illustrating the importance and quality of the EBCTS examinations.
The EBCTS chairman oversees the running of the Board.
- Sets policies for the EBCTS in conjunction with EACTS Council and the executive committee of the EBCTS
- Works in conjunction with the EBCTS Board members and EACTS Council to develop and deliver the EBCTS examinations
- Works supportively and collaboratively with the EBCTS administrative team.
- Ensures transition of EBCTS to an even more professionalized body and contributes to developing regulations and defined processes
- Interfaces with candidates in all aspects of the examination and appeals
- Makes EBCTS candidate eligibility for examination and examination result decisions in a timely manner
- Maintains strong relationships with the cardiovascular and thoracic surgery communities worldwide
- Leads strategic initiatives and contributes to establishing succession planning to ensure appropriate continued function of the EBCTS
- Oversees Innovation and transition to computer-based examinations
- Available to travel; attends global conferences/meetings in the specialty and conferences on examination/assessment
- Helps disseminate the work done by the EBCTS and the outcomes of examinations
- Chairs EBCTS Board meetings
- Calls EBCTS Board meetings and other meetings/training activities in a timely fashion
- Works effectively with EACTS.
- Is spokesperson for the EBCTS
- Supervises examination appeal process
- Helps in managing the liability inherent to permissive examinations on behalf of EBCTS and EACTS, with the support from EBCTS Board, legal advisors and EACTS
- Holds regular phone or Zoom meetings with members of the Board
- Collaborates with the Director of the EACTS Academy and the Domains/Task forces to ensure appropriate delivery of training related to the EBCTS Syllabus
- He is responsible to the Secretary general and Accountable to the Council of EACTS.
- Provides regular Reports to the Secretary General and to Council (when required)
- Establishes and maintains communication and exchanges with equivalent international Boards
- Communicates with all stakeholders
- Reports to Council through the secretary general or in person when requested
- Significant experience in training, attested by a having reached a position of Fellowship program director or equivalent status in the Country of Origin
- Significant experience in standardized high-quality examinations at a national or international level
- Previously engaged in EBCTS examinations (desirable)
- Formal training in exam construction and delivery for both QA and oral examinations
- Experience of EACTS Academy involvement as a teacher (desirable)
- Strong reputation in the field of Cardiothoracic Surgery and maintains solid ethics
- Clear vision and contemporary understanding of the specialty with ability to adapt to ongoing specialty changes
- Relates to peers and staff in a positive, constructive and supportive manner
- Published, peer-reviewed journal author in the field of training, assessment and the wider generality of cardiothoracic practice
- Academic appointment and active cardiovascular or thoracic surgeon
- Able to complete a three-year term beginning in October 2019 (term is renewable for three years pending satisfactory completion of first two years)
- Able to commit a significant amount of time to the duties outlined above, to remain in regular contact with members of the Board and supervise ongoing work and development
- Must be an EACTS member in good standing
Please submit expressions of interest (CV and Letter of Motivation) to Amanda Cameron, ebcts@Eacts.co.uk and Dr Patrick Myers, EBCTS Secretary, email@example.com by 31 August. Interviews will be held during the month of September 2019.