The Francis Fontan Fund for Education supports surgical education, fosters professional development and strengthens the global cardiothoracic community through increased knowledge share. The Fund’s mission is to create a global community sharing and learning from the highest standards of cardiothoracic care.
Francis Fontan was a pioneering cardiac surgeon, best known for creating the revolutionary Fontan procedure. Passionate about lifelong learning, Fontan founded the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery to advance education in the field of cardiothoracic and vascular interventions. The Francis Fontan Fund was created in his honour, with the intention of celebrating his dedication to lifelong learning.
The Fund currently supports several different Fellowship schemes, specialising in a wide breadth of cardiothoracic techniques. These Fellowships take place in institutions from all around the world, including Europe, the USA and China, and are open to applicants from all countries.
The Fund offers three categories of Fellowship: Research, Leadership and Education. Research Fellowships offer experienced cardiothoracic surgeons a placement in cardiothoracic research, whilst Leadership Fellowships enable candidates to attend specialist courses and a placement in a clinic specialised in a specific area of cardiothoracic surgery. Education Fellowships offer candidates early in their surgical career foundational knowledge in a specific aspect of cardiothoracic surgery.
Francis Fontan Fund Fellowship opportunities are open throughout the year and will be advertised on the EACTS website. To apply, applicants must provide a comprehensive and up to date CV, a letter of support from the current Head of Department/Training Director and a completed application form (available on the website). Applications are subject to a rigorous peer review process, led by world leading EACTS surgeons and overseen by eminent members of the Francis Fontan Fund Committee. For more information about the Fellowship application process please download the EACTS Francis Fontan Fund Fellowship Scheme brochure., or email email@example.com.
The Fund is very grateful to industry donors that support the educational opportunities offered by the Fund. If your company is interested in the Fund’s donation process, please download the EACTS Francis Fontan Fund Industry Partnership Pack, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click on the links below for more information on each fellowship. Applications for 2022 Fellowships closed on the 29 September 2021. EACTS will be recruiting again in Spring 2022 for 2023 Fellowships.
- Advanced Intensive Postoperative Care 2022 (Selected Fellow/s to begin in early 2022) MORE>
- Aortic TEVAR Fellowship in partnership with Terumo (2020 Fellows will be starting in May 2022)MORE>
- Aortic Root and Valve Repair Fellowship (2020 Fellows will be starting in May 2022)MORE>
- Atrial Fibrillation Fellowship (2020 Fellows will be starting in May 2022)MORE>
- EACTS-MSTCVS Quality and Outcomes Fellowship 2022 (Selected Fellow/s to begin in early 2022) MORE>
- Off-Pump Coronary Artery Bypass Fellowship 2022 (Selected Fellow/s to begin in early 2022) MORE>
- TSF/FFF International Travelling Fellowship 2022 (Selected Fellow/s to begin in early 2022) MORE>
- Uniportal Vats Fellowship (closed) MORE>
Click on the links below for more information on each scholarship.